Sunday, March 18, 2012

Tha WeathaMan's Open Letter to Peyton Manning







Dear Peyton,

I hope you don't mind me calling you by your first name. I hope all is well with you. You seem to be healthy these days, and judging by your frequent flyer miles it seems that you are a hot commodity. I can't say that I blame those teams, you are quite the quarterback. As a person that met you a while ago when I was in high school, I was hoping to give you my unsolicited opinion on which team you should join. You don't have to worry about thanking me for this, as I'm just looking out for what is best for you.

I know Denver is an option, but have you honestly thought about what it means to go there? For starters, they play outdoors in a location where the winters are harsh and the weather is frigid. I know you've spent a considerable amount of time up in Indianapolis, but you were able to play inside of a dome. There is no dome in Denver. Also, you would seem to be at the point in your career where you want to win another Super Bowl. I don't think you can win one with Denver. Their defense was ranked 24th in the league last year. That is hardly a Super Bowl caliber defensive unit. Also, a quarterback of your pedigree deserves to throw to a more skilled receiving group than one that "boasts" Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas as the two top targets. You deserve more Peyton.

That leads me to the Titans. What a great story that would be wouldn't it Peyton? The King of Tennessee football coming back home to close out his career. It would come full circle. Unfortunately, we both know that you are not in the business of making good stories. You are in it to win! Who are we kidding here? We both know that the Titans are a few years away from being playoff contenders, never mind Super Bowl contenders. Unlike the Broncos, at least the Titans have a good defense. They do have a good running game with Chris Johnson. Sounds like a good team right? Look deeper though Peyton, because relying just on the surface picture can trick you. They have a wide receiver corp that cannot stay healthy. Doesn't do you much good to have receivers if they are on the sidelines wearing street clothes right? Also, how winnable is that division when you have the Houston Texans that look poised to dominate for the next few years? You don't want to have to deal with that young and dynamic group for your remaining few years in the league do you Peyton? I didn't think so either. Here is the last point, but it is the biggest in my opinion. You strike me as the exact opposite of Brett Favre, in that you don't like distractions and circus like atmospheres. Do you really want to play the Colts twice a year like you would have to with the Titans? Imagine the media crowding around you for two weeks a season. Imagine the questions, the distractions, and the unhealthy atmosphere that would exist for those games. Your team would have a hard time focusing, hell you might even have a hard time focusing with all of that going on. Once again Peyton, you deserve better.

That leads me to what "better" is Peyton, and that's the Bay Area. The San Francisco 49ers. Out of your reported finalists, this team has the most history and the most to offer. You would get to follow in the footsteps of some of the great NFL quarterbacks of all time. Y.A. Tittle, Joe Montana, and Steve Young are names that will go down in history as three of the best. You would make number four. You want viable passing targets? What about having the benefit of one of the top three tight ends in the game in Vernon Davis? What about a first ballot hall of fame receiver in Randy Moss running patterns on the outside for you? You want a young, up and coming receiver? They have that in Michael Crabtree. I figure you would want a receiver who has done it on the big stage and won the big games right? They have that too with the recent signing of Mario Manningham. Manning to Manningham has a great ring to it doesn't it? I thought you would like that. They even have a Pro Bowler in the backfield in Frank Gore. He's a workhorse that could definitely take the pressure off of you. That would allow you to be fresh for the stretch run and playoffs.

I haven't even discussed the fact that they had the second ranked defensive unit in the league last year, and will return all eleven of their starters. They even had a top 10 offense. Just imagine how great that offensive unit would be with you donning the number 18 jersey. Pure harmony my friend. Another factor is that they won their division last year easily, and no one else in that division has improved this off season. Seems like your path to the playoffs would be easier in San Fran than it would be anywhere else. Not to mention Jim Harbaugh is a coach of the year winner and understands the art of quarterbacking as much as you do. You deserve better Peyton, and the Niners are the epitome of better.

Now granted, I am a die hard 49ers fan. This cannot be disputed. However, I am also an unbiased sports blogger and sports analyst. I just present the facts Peyton, and that is exactly what I've done here. I know Elway might be a good salesmen, and the sentimental value of going to Tennessee would make everyone feel warm and fuzzy. But I want you to remember something Peyton: Eli has two rings and you only have one. He's not better than you. He knows it, I know it, and you know it. Time for you to get your second and even third rings. All of the greats have multiple rings. Where can you win those rings? You are a smart man Peyton. I look forward to watching your press conference where you hold up that red and white number 18 jersey.

Sincerely,

D. Ruck aka Tha WeathaMan

No comments:

Post a Comment